Wednesday 30 March 2016

Exploring the grounds

Should there be someone who still isn’t completely fallen for Castello Visconteo of my previous post, although there surely can’t be anyone, here comes some more proof of its beauty and extraordinary character. Let’s set off to explore the site with an eager but gentle canine companion native to the place. (I am trying to keep him/her from rushing to my feet in the above photo.)







The castle stands on the western bank of the river Ticino. It is surrounded by a walled embankment. Only after a stroll along that will you understand the impressive size of the construction with a tower on each corner as most of it remains hidden behind the stately façade.






The first structure at the location is believed to have been a watchtower for guarding traffic on and across the Ticino. Today, the river can hardly be seen because of thick vegetation on the sloping strip of land between the embankment and the waterfront.







In addition to a little bit of wilderness, there is also plenty of sloping lawn for the domestic animals to graze, the pets to run around – and the groundskeeper to take care of.






The surroundings of Castello Visconteo are not only absolutely picturesque to behold but a most soothing haven in their relaxing tranquillity. To me, they totally complete this dream place to stay.






6 comments:

  1. The surroundings of the castle are just as wonderful as the apartment. How did you discover this gem? It is lovely to see a picture of you too! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I haven't published but one photo of myself before and that was in 2012 so I thought it is about time. As for finding this place, when planning the trip I was thinking it would be great to stay at an apartment or b&b in a private mansion or small castle and started googling. That's how I found this place and also the next one, which was a castle turned into a hotel, but more about that later.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful place to stay. I love the mossy alleys and sunken steps. From another time. It is lovely to see so much green at this time of year. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunny days of October were lovely, weren't they. I can't wait to see some greenery again!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful surroundings of a great castle.I think I have been there but it must be many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank heaven for the Internet. It is so much easier now to find great places to stay than when we first started staying at apartments. The place either had to be recommended by someone or chosen from a catalogue, in which case you had to wait for days to hear if the chosen one was available and if not what was offered as a replacement.

      Delete